The more we can eat food that we prepare ourselves the more likely we are going to stay on track with our goals.
But that doesn’t mean we have to spend hours prepping everything from scratch. I am a HUGE fan of convenience nutrition and using come “cheats” here and there to streamline healthy cooking. Places like Whole Foods, Thrive Market and Trader Joes are my best friends during busy times like these.
So whether you are in the midst of the holiday craze or just in search of some healthy meal ideas that take hardly any time at all, then definitely check out the following 5 healthy meals you can make in under 5 minutes.
Please note that these aren’t the fanciest meals ever but they are tasty and will make sure you get in key nutrients for keeping your body happy and healthy during a particularly busy time. Plus they are loaded with protein and fiber for sustaining energy and keeping blood sugar levels stable.
5 recipes you can make in under 5 minutes during this busy holiday season:
- 1 container of pre-made chicken broth.
- I love the brands Pacific or Imagine’s organic free range chicken broth
- 1 smaller size bag of your favorite mixed veggies
- Meat from 2 chicken thighs and drumsticks of a rotisserie chicken, pulled apart into bite sized pieces. OR you can use 1-2 cans of drained canned chicken breast.
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional add ins: hot sauce, chunks of avocado, toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Place the broth and veggies in a large microwave safe bowl (for microwave heating) or pan (for stove top heating) and heat until piping hot
- Add in chicken
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle on optional add-ins. Enjoy!
- corn tortillas
- black bean dip or refried beans
- I love the brand Better Bean
- your favorite shredded cheese (dairy free if needed)
- baby spinach
- optional fixin’s for topping:
- your favorite salsa
- your favorite guacamole or sliced avocado
- I’ve been getting pre-made guac from Costco and Whole Foods lately
- plain greek yogurt (for “sour cream”)
Here’s what you do:
- Spread bean dip on corn tortilla
- Sprinkle with your favorite cheese
- Layer on a handful of baby spinach
- Fold in half and heat (for 20-30 seconds at a time in microwave or in a skillet on stovetop)
- Top with your favorite fixin’s and enjoy!
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- ~1/4 cup of mayo
- I love avocado mayo
- salt, pepper and optional red pepper flakes, dried parsley and dried onion
- your favorite sliced veggies (carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, snap peas, etc.)
- your favorite crackers (whole grain or gluten free seed/nut crackers)
- I love Mary’s Gone crackers
- Place the tuna, mayo and seasonings in a bowl and mix
- Serve tuna salad on a plate with sliced veggies and crackers for dipping/spreading
- Cook according to package directions 1 bag of whole grains or quinoa such as the Seeds of Change brand
- Place a heaping amount (~3 cups) of baby spinach on a microwave plate, drizzle with ~1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave again for 15-30 seconds until cooked
- Add a serving of rotisserie chicken (roughly the size of my palm or a bit bigger than a deck of cards)
- Add a serving (~1/3 cup) of grains to the plate and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup of chocolate overnight oats. You can find my fa
vorite recipe HERE.
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogur
- I love 2% Fage greek yogurt
- Optional banana cut up in pieces and 1 T nut butter
- I love almond butter in my oats
- 1 Hard boiled egg
- Siracha hot sauce and sea salt
- Mix chocolate oats and plain yogurt + optional banana and nut butter in a bowl or mug
- Peel and slice hard boiled egg in half, add a line of siracha on top and sprinkle with seat salt
- Enjoy your high protein, high fiber sweet and savory breakfast!
Do you have any favorite quick meals that you turn to when you are short on time? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Come join us over in the Body By Banner community where we swap recipes and healthy ideas for making meals in minutes. Sign up for the weekly newsletter HERE to join us- I’d love to hear back from you! xo